It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gettysburg 150th
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:57 pm 
Private

Hello everyone,

Just got news that myself along with 7 others of my company would be falling in for the 150th Gettysburg (GAC) this July. We are wondering exactly if we are going to be thrown into a mixed unit of all the other Berdan's attending or if there's going to be the independent companies but camped in an area with all the other sharpshooters. We really don't know since this is most of our first big event like this and don't really know what to expect. Also with my captain and myself being 1st sgt is rank wise, keep it? downgrade or just go "slick-sleeve" for the event. Any sort of info would be greatly appreciated.

Ethan and the rest of the 2nd USSS Co. D

Post subject: Re: Gettysburg 150th
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:28 am 
Sergeant

Ethan and Fellow Sharpshooters,

Since there are other Sharpshooters who are reading Ethans post, I thought I'd let people know of the two reenactments to commemorate the 150th annivesary of the battle at Gettysburg.

The Blue Gray Alliance (BGA) is holding their reenactment on the Bushy Farm, due west of the southern terminus of Seminary Ridge, on June 27-30. The ground selected was featured in the movie Gettysburg and 135th reenactment. The ground is a combination of rolling open pastures, wooded and rocky hills. I have many fond memories running up and down 'that damn hill' that was LRT. It is very 'sharpshooter friendly'.

This is the link to the BGA event: http://www.bluegraygettysburg.com/

The Gettysburg Anniversary Committee (GAC) is holding their event one week later. They have selected the farms north of town, where the 145th reenactment was held. I can't comment on the site since I didn't make that event; perhaps another Sharpshooter will step up and describe for us what the event site looks like?

This is the link to the GAC event: http://www.gettysburg.travel/media/even ... nt_id=3123

Ethan,

The command and control structure for national events on the east coast is typically the 4th Battalion-Sharpshooters of the U.S. Volunteers. Major John Carey has been overall C.O. and his staff have experience with national/USV-USSS operations. Any company that 'falls in' with the USV USSS keep their own officers, NCO's and EM's. Usually companys from a region will be consolidated into 30-50 man platoons. When a color company is selected, men who have distinguished themselves are asked to join this post. Others with special talents (for me, bugling) can be asked to join the battalion as chief musician. Individuals falling in are often assigned to Co. B-1; a good group of comrades who welcomed me into their ranks nearly 20 years ago.

Best advice is expect lots of unexpected changes in camp (where do I pitch my tent, get water, dig fire pits, wood supply??), details (expect to hear the host battalion/brigade Sgt. Major screaming for USSS to send him a guard detail or act as 'traffic cops' (usually when you just arrived after a 13 hour drive and have no idea where anybody's assigned camping spot is, let alone where the parking lot/ice/H20/portapottys is). Also on the battlefield--many 'historical scenarios' can dissolve into a confusing mess at the snap of a cap. Keep control of your men, follow orders to the best of your ability and when the line breaks down--fight on your own hook until you can link up (remember Adjt. Norton and the Michigan's Co. B-2 sharpshooters at Gburg) Keep a good sense of humor, and help the privates and recruits. Oh, and expect Gburg to be as hot as Hades in July!! Be sure to 'close ranks and clasp hands' with other Sharpshooters no matter the state or country they may hail from--you'll make a friend for life like I have.

Bill Skillman
Hudson Squad-USSS

Post subject: Re: Gettysburg 150th
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:49 am 
Private

Great post Bill! I haven't done a Gettysburg event since the 130th. I'm hoping to make it this year with Co. B. 1st Regt. I look forward to it!

Bob Courtney