It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Frock Coat
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:54 am 
Private

Does anyone have a Mill Creek Merc. Frock? i was woundering if color and quality ar good?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Frock Coat
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:39 am 

I bought my outfit there and I like it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:11 pm 
Corporal

Well....it really depends on who you are talking to. How authentic you need it to be basid on what you are trying to accomplish with your material impression and how much you are willing to spend to get there. My jacket is Hainesworth Rifle Gree, cut by Brian and assembled by a very competent tailor in TN with whom Brian had worked with and whom I would go to again if he was willing to take the project. Generally I think the green wool they use is too heavy, roughly woven the wrong color green. Johnson Reproductions (?) has a better shade of green. Nick Seklea has the buttons. The trim on the jackets is bad though, so a project would be to replace that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:01 pm 
Private

I really don't want to start another thread so I'm going to revive this thread as I've thrashed my frock coat so I need to get another. :cry:

Has anyone seen the frock made by Nick Sekela? I fainted at the price but what little I've seen from the photos that frock looks real nice. I went to the Johnson Reproductions site and I agree with JBoring about the color of the trim on the frock. I'm not sure how to deal with fixing the trim's color without sacrificing my sanity.

So it's time for me to fight the eternal struggle between cost and authenticity. I definitely don't want to go cheap as I had some trousers self destruct due to poor thread quality and the fabric was simply ok. I'm not going to name the vendor.

Advice and/or moral support are highly appreciated as well as topping off my whiskey ration.

TJ