It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:16 pm 
Sergeant

Fellow Sharpshooters;

While I was looking for images of USSS uniforms, (to answer Joseph’s questions about the fatigue blouses worn by the volunteers), I discovered the Smithsonian collection’s ‘sealed pattern’ USSS uniform coat, trousers and forage cap on the Flickr website.

This is the first time I've been able to view the uniform as it appears naturally. Marcot's book featured a photograph of the coat, cap and trousers, that were either taken in black and white and 'colorized' a washed out green, or the book printer had very poor quality control.

I recall some members of Co. C. visited the Smithsonian a few years back who conducted a thorough materials/photographic analysis the USSS items held by the museum. In addition to the 'sealed pattern' materials, I believe there was a fatigue blouse belonging to one of the USSS company commanders (I believe it was Jno. Baker of Co. C. 1st USSS). Brian White informed me that he discovered Baker's personal flask among the Michigan Historical Museum holdings in Lansing, Michigan.

Bill Skillman
Randolf Mess-USSS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:57 pm 
Sergeant

Bill,

The Smithsonian's officer frock belonged to Capt. John Baker, Co. C 1st USSS. His engraved silver-cupped flask is on display at the Michigan Historical Museum in Lansing and I was informed several years ago that a portion of Baker's diary and one of his drill manuals resides in a historical society collection in Illinois.

----------------------------------
Randolph Mess, U.S. Sharpshooters