It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just an Opinion
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:28 pm 
Sergeant

I just want to know what you guys think of the colour of my frock coat. I bought it from Regimental about 5 years ago and when I asked to join Company C last year I decided to dye it. It's made from Woolrich Wool, I would asume the blended stuff, but it's what I could get at the time not knowing of anyother source to aquire a frock. Now asking around and getting some answers from people I dyed it in a warm bath of two parts Dark Green and one half part black. I had that thru most of the year until I dyed it again just before a reenactment in Fremont, Ohio. I dyed it two part Dark Green and one and one half Black.

Now I think it looks good to me, maybe a little darker, as I was trying to match the colour of the Smithsonian Frock. As I aslo put on hand sewn button holes and tried to do some hand topstiching. But again many of you have read that with dying the frock it has shrunk more than I thought and is really snug on me. I will use it until I am able to aquire a new frock and pass this one on to a friend of mine that would like to join in the future.

Again what do you guys think?

Post subject: Re: Just an Opinion
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:18 pm 
Looks ok, though photos can be really deceiving depending on the lighting. The only thing that sticks out in the photo is that the piping looks to be more on the lime green side.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:47 am 
Sergeant

Thanks for the comment of your thoughts. I do agree that the piping looks abit bright. I can make it darker, more of an emerald colour. I'm looking for any opinion that you have. If it's negative say it, if it's positive say it. All I can do is sink in the information and advise that is given to make a better impression. But this is what I have to work with right now until I can get a better coat made of a somewhat period correct fabric.

Question to some of you British Fellows, Who produces the wool for your uniform? Hainsworth or anyother maker? Just a little curious.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:23 am 
Site Admin

Joseph,

I have a sample of the Hainsworth doeskin in Rifle Green, I will have it at the business meeting to see
http://www.abimelech.co.uk/fabrics_doeskin.htm

It is very pricey to get over here from England, well over $50 per yard. I stated in another post, I am working with Woolrich to develop a new marerial....will keep you all posted.

Company ā€œCā€ 2nd Regt. U.S. Sharpshooters
http://www.berdansharpshooters.com