It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Authentic Dog Tent
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:25 pm 
Sergeant

I was just wondering what your guys` thoughts were, but I am looking for a new dog tent. I'm trying to start getting on a more authentic path. Hell just ask Tom at Regimental, I dropped $450 on a new Confederate Uniform. But who should a go to that makes a good authentic dog tent? I was thinking about Wambaugh, White, and Co. since that's what Regimental sells. What are your opinions?

Post subject: Re: Authentic Dog Tent
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:56 am 
Site Admin

A Good early to mid-war shelter tent half (Type IIa) should have 3 panels, this is the best as far as authenticity, as far as I am concerned. A mid to late war half was 2 panel construction. So if you are doing an early war event you would be covered with a IIa, this would also carry you into a mid to late war period as well.

Wambaugh, White, & Company have a few styles available. They seem to be good quality as well.

They were offering a "Bully Buy" on their website for $80 a Half.

http://www.wwandcompany.com/bullybuy.html/

Company “C” 2nd Regt. U.S. Sharpshooters
http://www.berdansharpshooters.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:06 pm 
Sergeant

Guys,

For those of you interested in authentic shelter tent halves feel free to contact Dan Wambaugh or myself at any time. Shelter tent halves are far from boring for me and I've greatly enjoyed studying originals in public and private collections across the country. I am currently able to offer half a dozen different styles, most of which are not listed on our website. Every style shares common features such as hand-sewn buttonholes and grommets, machine-sewn seams, 100% hemp rope, and an appropriate replica manufacturer's stamp but that's where the similarities end. Some styles are suited towards early versus mid or late war impressions while others are only suited for a western impression. The most appropriate style of shelter tent half for a USSS impression are, in my opinion, listed below:

Joseph Lee Contract Shelter Half: Cotton drill, three vertical panels. Very common, produced in the hundreds of thousands.

H.S. McComb Contract Shelter Half: Cotton drill, two vertical panels. Roughly on-par with the Lee tent halves, very common.

Our turn-around time on shelter halves in very short, and if you want to hunt one down in your area Regimental Quartermaster and E.J. Thomas Mercantile both carry them. E.J. Thomas will be receiving a new shipment of McComb contract halves by the end of the year.

----------------------------------
Randolph Mess, U.S. Sharpshooters

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:58 pm 
Sergeant

Thanks a lot guys for the help, as I will keep in consideration the Lee and McComb shelter halves coming from Brian White himself. Just trying to get on the right path of portraying a U.S. Sharpshooter.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:15 pm 
Sergeant

I received two H.S. McComb shelter tent halves today made by Wambaugh, White, and Company via E.J. Thomas Mercantile. I must say that the quality looks great. With the hand sewn button holes and grommet holes. Thanks Brian!!

It's a lot better that the one I purchased last year. I'm just itching to use it in the field. Come on spring hurry up and get here! :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:32 am 
Sergeant

Joseph,

It sounds like you like the tents as much as I enjoyed making them!!! I hope you get a lot of good use out of them for many seasons to come. You could do the Wyman White thing and tell guys you got both shelter halves from a dead officer!

Take care,

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:59 am 
Sergeant

Brian.
I have a question for the end piece for the tent. Now would the button and holes line up correctly for a your Type IIIa shelter half to a H.S. McComb? I would think so but just wanted to be sure. Now when the 3rd half is foldedup correctly, would fit the buttons and button hole to form the end piece?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:05 am 
Sergeant

Joseph,

The Type IIIa tents that I make should technically fit but the dimensions and buttonhole placements are slightly different from the ones that you purchased. My messmates and I have made it work in the past though.

As for the end piece, I've personally never tried it using a third shelter half BUT others have and say that it creates a sort of "belled" end which gives them more leg room or a place to stow their gear. Check out the link below:

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20648

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:40 am 
Sergeant

Yeah I have been reading that thread since it was first started and that's why I decided to ask about the two different halves. I was thinking about getting another one from E.J. Thomas Mercantile. But, they said that they were sold out. I can wait to find one later before the season starts. Have you supplied anybody else with the McComb Contract Shelter Half?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:39 pm 
Sergeant

Regimental Quartermaster might have picked some up from me after Rememberance Day but I honestly cannot remember. That weekend was insanely busy!

If you can't find any more tents through our retailers don't worry. I'm starting a new run of them once I return to Michigan in maybe two more weeks. The wait time is very short.