It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Bummers"
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:46 pm 
Sergeant

I know this isn't a Berdan Sharpshooter Oriented event but the way how the Sherman Bummers Parties works would be to our liking. This is a message from the Federal Commander Tripp Corbin

Quote:
Subject: Bummers

Gentlemen,

I hope this message finds you doing well. This is the first of what I am sure will be many messages to coordinate the federal side of things for bummers. As I am sure you are aware, I will be serving as the ranking federal officer for this event. As such I wanted to touch base with the division commanders and party leaders.

This event will be unlike any other. We will not be operating under a normal military structure. As Sherman’s original bumming parties, we will be much more loosely organized. That means no staff and little in the way of pomp and circumstance. Most of the event we will be moving in loose skirmish formations. There are a couple of things I want you all to be thinking about as we begin looking toward this event.

First our goal is to find food for our respective commands. We are not looking for a general engagement with the Rebel forces. That is not to say we should run from a fight but we should not go looking for one. Also keep in mind that historically Sherman issued orders to conserve ammunition. He even went so far as to fine soldiers that wasted ammunition.

Second this is not a going to be a race. There is no need to push your men hard. Take your time. Spend time looking around. Send out parties to investigate trails. Take rest breaks and so on. The terrain will help slow us down as well. Of course I am sure the Rebs will have a few surprises to keep us on our toes too.

Lastly lets have fun. This event will offer us a chance to experience some unique things. Let’s enjoy it. To do that we all need to be in shape and prepared. Have the men under your command start now getting ready. Herb, Kiev, and Jordan are not joking when they say this site is Pickett’s Mill meets Rich Mountain.

Well that is all for now. I am looking forward to serving with you all. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Also don’t forget about the Bummers buy on Spencer and Henry Rifles Matt and I have put together. It is open to anyone registered for Bummers.

Your Humble Servant

Tripp Corbin
Armory Guards
Western Independent Grays
Georgia Volunteer Battalion

It's the weekend before Remembrance Day but this is going to be a great event. I'm going with a couple of my pards from the Company B 30th Ohio Infantry. Anyone is welcome to join our our foraging party. For more information click the link http://www.bummers09.com

Post subject: Re: "Bummers"
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:31 pm 
Sergeant

Joseph,

Dan Wambaugh and I will be attending in the 1st Missouri Engineers foraging party. We had lobbied for some time to have our old unit portray the 66th Illinois instead (they were western sharpshooters) since the 1st MO Engineers were a headquarters regiment and not attached to the army corps being portrayed, but no luck.

I'm sure we'll see you there...if you're going with the 30th I'll try and get away to meet you. Or if you run into a group of bearded guys wearing gold chevrons come on over!

----------------------------------
Randolph Mess, U.S. Sharpshooters

Post subject: Re: "Bummers"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:38 pm 
Sergeant

Brian,

Sounds good and hopefully I will see you there. I'll stop by when you set up on just friday if I don't see you in the field after that.

But yeah, I'll put your jacket into full use at this event! But like I said I can't wait to for this event as it seems to be a really cool one. Hopefully the weather and bugs would be decent.