It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WW & Co SS trouser kits
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:42 am 
Private

Received my trouser kits (I ordered a standard fed inf) from Wambaugh, White and Co yesterday. They included everything that you would need: buttons, pre-faded thread (way more then needed), correct markings and the fabric was pre-cut (removing one of the greater pains of sewing).

Not for the first-timer though, while their instructions are very detailed, I have been sewing for going on 20 years now, and there were parts that tripped me up. It was more a terminology thing then having unclear instructions, that and the Mets were losing.

Overall: Great quality item (of course) that I highly recommend.

Now we wait with baited breath for the frock...

Thanks guys,

Chris
1st USSS co H.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:21 pm 
Sergeant

I haven't yet dared to order a SA Trouser kit and assemble it. Just didn't think I would do a good job in keeping it together..lol..So I've always went to Chris Sullivan for Trousers, except for when I bought Dan's old pair of USSS SA Trousers in Pat Kline USSS cloth.

But I've ran into a few snags with terminology as well on the other kits, but I hope it turned out well for you. Did you order one of those frocks from Daley then that you are referring to?

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:09 pm 
Private

Nope, I am kind of hoping that WW & Co will eventually put out a SS frock kit

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:29 pm 
Sergeant

Lol good luck there. I've talk to Dan about that and I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen anytime soon.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:50 pm 
Sergeant

I understand better than anyone Dan's aversion to making frock coats. He simply dislikes putting them together because they take so long to do "right" and it feels that you're not really getting any closer to finishing. However, through constant browbeating I am trying to convince him to work with me a few times a year for short runs of Federal frock coats...maybe if he and I worked on one each at the same time the work would go by quicker.

While I haven't put together a Federal frock coat, I am about to make two (infantry and U.S.S.S.). I'm using the infantry coat as a sort of prototype so I can master the techniques before I go on to make my sharpshooter frock. I don't think we will offer kits for these any time soon, or ever, BUT perhaps next year when I feel confident enough to do short production runs of them I may consider taking orders.

Chris, you must be the person who ordered both sky blue and dark green S.A. trouser kits. The green fabric was made by Pat Kline and is the lighter of the three shades we have hoarded away at the workshop; it matches the color of cloth used as interior facings in the Tilson coat.

----------------------------------
Randolph Mess, U.S. Sharpshooters

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:39 pm 
Sergeant

Brian what do you guys use for the piping on the frocks? Like who makes it and what is the name of the fabric?

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:46 pm 
Sergeant

I have half a yard of Hainsworth's emerald green doeskin that I'm going to use for our frocks. While it's not the same weave as the trim cloth on the Tilson and Henderson frocks, the color is easily within the range.

There's a good close up of the un-faded portion of the Tilson coat trim that I will post once Dan sends it to me. It's surprisingly rich and dark, but it was not light-fast and faded to a pea-soup green color.

----------------------------------
Randolph Mess, U.S. Sharpshooters

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:24 pm 
Private

Thanks Brian, the trousers material was excellent, and it went together pretty fast, aside from a hiccup that was totally an error on my part, and Dan was great in getting me on the right track, I would highly recommend this for anyone with a bit of skill and some free time.

And I'll be on the lookout for that short run, good luck!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:54 pm 
Private

1stUSSScoH wrote:
Thanks Brian, the trousers material was excellent, and it went together pretty fast, aside from a hiccup that was totally an error on my part, and Dan was great in getting me on the right track, I would highly recommend this for anyone with a bit of skill and some free time.

And I'll be on the lookout for that short run, good luck!

Unfortunately I do not have the skill or time. Anybody out there have some recommendations on sources for replacing the trousers I wrecked beyond any help?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:09 am 
Private

Past Patterns is great with losing the sewer in terminology. They assume that you have knowledge about the pieces as if you already know what they are and how they go together. If we new all of that, would we really be reading the directions?
Sew the wangdoodle to the hozbizzle right sides together, press seams to the inside of the snozwanger.