It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Shiloh Rifles
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:44 am 
Private

Well done! I don't think you'll be disappointed with your choice. Just a couple thoughts for your consideration. When I ordered my Shiloh 1863 Sharps rifle, I ordered almost exactly as you did. One thing I did differently was to request the Shiloh barrel stampings be moved to the underside of the barrel so they'd be hidden under the forearm. This apparently meets any BTAF requirements??? and yet gives the barrel a more correct look and was a no cost option. (Current Shiloh barrel stampings are rather deep and fairly obvious.) I also requested the barrel be stamped "New Model 1859" rather than the normal "New Model 1863" to better replicate the Berdan Sharps. This stamp is located on the top of the barrel between the lock and the ladder sight. Shiloh told me they could do the date change, but cost, if any, is unknown at this time. You could also request deletion of the lever catch as Berdans didn't have this feature or just remove it yourself; should be very simple. Again, the above mentioned changes are of little or no cost and should improve the visual authenticity of your new rifle.

Again, congratulations on your order. We can rest easy knowing we are doing our part to support the economy of Montana!

Mike
Alaska

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:29 am 
Private

Mike~

I do like the idea of moving the shiloh barrel stamps to under the forearm stock, and the price of "no charge" for this adjustment is very appealing. As for the level catch, I would of preferred my rifle to come with one, but was told the catch is not available for the DST...? I will have to reconfirm this with Shiloh.

David

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:12 am 
Sergeant

David,

Berdan-contract Sharps were special-order rifles. They incorporated features already available for sale by Sharps--the Infantry Model Rifle (30 inch barrel, 800 yard ladder sight, 3-band forearm, etc.); and the 'set triggers' the Company produced for target shooting customers (see the photo of Henry Kinsman in my Who were they-the 1st USSS Armorers). Sharps had the tooling, dies and experience to make a hybrid rifle, but they hadn't expected such a large order for set triggers, this caused production to lag until they could be made for the Berdan's contract (the final tally of 'set trigger' Berdan rifles is still open to debate).

The remaining Sharps NM1859 & 63 Infantry Model rifles and carbines that saw service during the War were manufactured with the lever catch as a standard feature.

The lever catch was originally designed to prevent the lever from accidentally jarring loose and lowering the breechblock, causing the powder charge to be lost--remember, up until 1860 the ammunition was 'cut tail' cartridges. The Model 1852-3 Sharps 'rifles' (actually carbines) issued to the U.S. Dragoons had this feature---and keeping the block closed makes sense when the arm is being jostled on horseback when pursuing (or running from) Commaches. A distant ancestor of mine traveled from Texas to Washington DC right after the Mexican-American War to secure the first mail contract in Texas (San Antonio to El Paso). With contract in hand, his next stop was to the Sharps Rifle Mfg. Co. to pick up +20 carbines and then over to the Colt Arms for six shooters to arm all of his employees. A great account can be found in the book: Sharps Rifles and Spanish Mules: The San Antonio-El Paso Mail, 1851-1881 by Wayne R. Austerman.

Hope this helps.

Bill Skillman
Hudson Squad-USSS

Last edited by Bill Skillman on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:48 am 
Private

Bill

Thank you for the information regarding the history of double set triggered Sharps. I love these interesting little details about any fire arm that catches my fancy. I’ll have to put Sharps Rifles & Spanish Mules on my Christmas list, seems like a good read for the winter.

Now, a question to everyone reading this post, who has a DST on their repro sharps. Has the level ever accidentally dropped on you, spilling out your powder charge?

David Fuda
http://www.11thcvi.org

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:00 pm 
Sergeant

David,

No tales of spilling powder, but I only use flat base cartridges.

But let me tell you a secret.

A number of years ago I came east to Fairfield, PA to fall in with my friends in the USV USSS. I had just finished another frustrating skirmish with my Ped, and I complained to Cpl. Dave Fulcher, who was the New York Company's armorer. Dave agreed to check it for 'bugs' while I spotted his dst Shiloh lying nearby. I asked Dave if I could handle it while he was diagnosing my Ped's problems. He assented, and when I drew down the lever I was astounded by how 'buttery smooth' the breechblock operated. Dave told me that he removed the forestock and slightly 'backed off' the screw that provided tension for the 'I' bar that retains the lever pin. This enabled him to just 'swipe' the lever with his hand while passing to the cartridge box, and the block would spring open like a frog in a dynamite pond.

Of course, once I got home, I pulled off the forestock of the Ped and I tried to adjust the tension of the I bar, but somehow I never could fnd the perfect balance Dave's Shiloh did. My Ped alternated between stiff or floppy (the lever would flop loose 1/2 to 3/4 inch below the trigger guard). I'd dial in and off the screw, watching the lever rise and fall--just when I thought it would be perfect, the lever was just as stiff as when I started. I then tried cut-down springs and rubber gaskets, to see if they could provide alternating tension, but the Ped was unbeatable.

I had to do some work on my Garrett and it doesn't have the same, light, smooth responsiveness as the Shiloh lever; but it is better than my old Ped.

Hope this helps.

Bill Skillman
Hudson Squad-USS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:01 pm 
Private

...."Hope this helps."...sheesh, I'm like a kid waiting for christmas already, in anticipation of when the UPS drive will knock at the front door. Anymore stories like this and I'm gonna start losing sleep.

David

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:59 am 
Private

Just an update, on my order with Shiloh. Its been six months and a day, since I placed the order and there is no word from Shiloh as to expected completion date yet. I did call them back in mid-October too inquire. The woman on the phone, seemed tired of answering the "when will it be done?" question from customers and had no idea of expected finish date. But did inform me, she believed the fore stocks were being shaped at the time.

Im my last post in this tread from July. I said, I felt like an kid, waiting for Christmas. I'm starting to think, I'm not gonna find a sharps under the tree Christmas morning and better start hoping for .54 cal Easter present.

David

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:25 pm 
Sergeant

David,

To your fine taste, you have selected one of the best rifles made in the USA today (but of course, I'm biased). The fact that you are looking at a delivery date measured in months, (compared to years), to have a custom made, newly manufactured NM1863 percussion Sharps rifle made by Shiloh is truly amazing. Shiloh Sharps are like a premimum wine or finely aged scotch; you simply can't rush the process. So until the day the UPS truck shows up at your door just embrace the "Patience is a virtue" mantra. Or, feel free to use the one preferred by my Vietnam War comrades: "Patience my ass---I wanna kill something!"

Bill Skillman
Hudson Squad Mess

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:19 pm 
Private

LOL, you are correct Bill. I've no question the wait will be worth the reward. It was just, I found myself standing over my gun bench today, gazing at the 250 rounds of ringtail bullets, powder and caps. Re-inspecting the sharps sling that waits a rifle and knowing the snow will soon close the ranges, the winter doldrums are setting in, I guess. So I scooped the Krag out of safe and a bandolier full of 30-40 and headed off to burn some powder

I did get a chance to inspect a couple shiloh sharps carbines while observing a black powder shoot held last month in the Saratoga NY area. They are finely crafted, I was very impressed. The good folks partaking in the competition, even showed me a very interesting re-pro sharps carbine made in the 1970s or 80s with a functioning percussion cap tape feed mechanism. A beautifully made carbine, with blondish wood. I was told; regrettable; the gentleman who crafted these sharps with a working tape feed, died in a fall down a flight of stairs several years ago.

Post subject: The UPS Man cometh
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:59 am 
Private

Got the call yesterday, my sharps is completed and will be delivered this coming wednesday, happy, happy, joy, joy!

Question for Mike, way up there in Alaska, Have you heard any news about or received your rifle?

Seems to be a lack of ffg black powder in my area for the last couple months, my sharps first outings might be with Triple 7 as the charge.

David